Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Little Things

Today at work it was warm enough to open the doors, and let the breeze in.
Today I woke up early enough to stretch, and eat breakfast before I left; that was a great success.
Today I bought mini-bagels.
Today I wrote for half an hour outside a coffee shop; I am a productive person.
Today I had yakisoba for lunch.

It was the little things that carried me through the hard times. Some days you move from breath to breath like climber moves from handhold to handhold. For almost three months now I have been breathing and living, without struggling to keep my head above water. When I think of the little things, I remember when those things kept the water from closing over my head. It reminds me of the final lines of "Wild Geese", by Mary Oliver:

Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting-
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things


Little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment