Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stress and the Creative Process

How's that for a professional sounding title? The other option was "I Hate Everything Today" and that didn't seem very uplifting.
But, you know what, I'm not feeling super uplifted right now. I can't write. I haven't been able to for almost a week, maybe more. There's too much turmoil in my life right now. I hear a lot about artists and their melancholy dispositions, but writing takes serious mental effort and unless I can get myself to a place of relative calm I can't do the basic work of putting one word after another.
I've made the tiny goal of one sentence a day. I have to keep going, despite the turbulence in my personal life right now.
Today's sentence:

"She got to her feet and shrugged."

High art, isn't it! Next thing you know I'll be hanging up my Nobel prize (do you hang those up?).
What about you? How does your mood and personal life affect your art? Are you like me, where the artistic work needs calm and detachment? Or are your masterpieces cathartic outpourings from the depths of despair? Or can you work anytime, anyhow?

No comments:

Post a Comment